Monday, July 03, 2006

Still on hiatus

Yes, I’m still officially on hiatus, so there’s no running and consequently no running updates.  I’ve fixed the problem with the Sport Junkie site, though.

 

I found myself dreaming last night of taking communion at the Anglican Church on S. Main just across the street from Rice U.  The rector was standing out front and I ran past, then stopped, turned around, jogged back and paused to take my communion.  As I took the bread “dream me” breathed deep, slowed down the old heart rate, nodded to the rector (rector?  Damn near killed her!  Yuk yuk), said something along the lines of “time to get going again”, and headed back down the road.  No cars were on the road.  Nobody else was around.  There was nothing but houses and trees.

 

There’s only 1 time I’ve ever taken communion at that church.  It was during the 06 Houston Marathon at or near mile 11.

 

That’s pretty whacked out.

 

--

 

There are plenty of good arguments I can give for running the half marathon next year.  One of which is that I will no doubt be able to finish fairly well if I start some moderate training, even if I start training late.  But there’s so much on the last half of the marathon that I’d hate to miss—the Anglican piper and again at the 13 mile marker, the Westpark overpass, the turn under 610 heading into Memorial Park and familiar running ground, the rolling hills/underpasses of Allen Parkway (not to mention the stronger runners who are taking it easy doing their level best to pump up we who are laboring on those final miles), the entry back into the valleys of downtown, the turn on to Texas Avenue (the valley of Champions, if you don’t mind me saying so), that last stretch as the skyscrapers peel into the background and the sun shines down on those final meters, the “deafening” roar of the 20 or 30 folks who stuck around for your big fat butt to finish, and finally those last steps across the goal…

 

Those things might just get stored away and shared with my boy some day.

4 Comments:

Blogger WalkSports.com said...

Baseball. Apple pie. Fourth of July. And an "I still hate running" post from Joe Breda.

How more American can you get?

Hope you and your wife are doing well!

12:43 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for the walk through the Houston marathon. Hopefully I'll get there one day.

4:07 PM  
Blogger Tiggs said...

that's Palmer Memorial church- where Manny and I go and are getting married at in Feb!!!

8:36 AM  
Blogger El Oso Furioso said...

You know, ya'll could just have the ceremony during the marathon. The fam can wait along the side of the road, ya'll can run up, say your "i dos" and then run off. It'd be pretty cool... and cheaper than the full on ceremony thing.

6:27 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home