Tuesday, April 01, 2008

The anatomy of an organic prank

There are pranks that just happen and they’re done.

Then there are those “organic” pranks that just take on a life of their own and if you don’t act fast, they grow and grow until you can’t stop them.

 

That’s what happened this morning.

 

I call my mom at 8am and say “Good morning…  twins”.

Nothing else.

 

First silence, then the realization that it’s April 1 and she knew better.  She is, after all, a middle school teacher and this isn’t her first rodeo, so to speak.

 

We chuckle, gab for a few seconds, then move along.  I text message my older brother in Colorado a 1 word message:  “twins”.

 

About an hour later, 9:00am Colorado time, I get a call from my brother.  “Did you watch Milwaukee last night?”  The Twins play in Milwaukee, for those of you who only watch good baseball teams.

 

Blah blah blah…  “Well, congratulations, you must be pretty excited.”

“I would be, were it not April fools’ day.”

 

“You bastard.  You know you’re going to have to call your sister-in-law and niece because they’re pretty excited.”  Then laughing har de har har…

“Really?  How do they know?”

 

“James called.”

 

Now I get to give some stunned silence.

 

“So, Mom must have called him—she knows it’s just a joke, by the way—and he either offered up an unsolicited assist or he thinks we’re having twins.  I guess I have another call to make.”

“Yea, I guess so.”

So, I call up the little brother and thank him for the assist, except he doesn’t know what I’m talking about.  I have to put that fire out, too.  Lots of laughs all around and he’s stuck at the airport.  Sucker.

 

Finally a call to the sister-in-law who I greet with a “happy April fools’ day” which immediately clarifies to her that she’s been had by a cruel, cruel prank.

 

Bwahahahahahahaa…..

 

Now, of course, one can’t help but wonder if this will all come back to bite me in the ass when we DO have to go to the doc.

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home