Wednesday, November 30, 2005

GET OUT OF MY HEAD!!!

I didn't want to run today.  Really, I didn't.  And not like I normally don't want to run.  It took me a solid hour to go from the Galleria to Memorial.  A solid freakin' hour!  I could have ran the distance faster...  except I hate running. 
So I was sitting in the locker room trying to talk myself up to running.  I tell myself "take off your shoes, just taking off the shoes isn't committing to anything".  I take off the shoes and just sit there for a second.
I tell myself "take off your pants, that way you can make the choice to put on the shorts or put the pants back on and go home."  Keep in mind when I say "tell myself" that I really was talking to myself out loud.  I tend to vocalize--albeit quietly and under my breath--when I talk to myself.  Needless to say when I tell myself "take off your pants" it garners some looks in the locker room.
Ok, so I change into my shorts, sit down and mutter to myself some more.
"Just run, you know you'll feel better afterwards"...  and that's not all untrue.  Generally when I run now I really do feel better afterwards.
I lace up the shoes, zip up the bag, and head out the door muttering to myself "just get through a lap and go home."
I did not want to be out there.
 
Mile 1:  8:59
Mile 2:  9:41 (18:40)
Mile 3:  8:24 (27:04)
 
That last lap was 9 seconds off my best mile time for this marathon season and only about a minute past a PR for any mile I've ever run, much less the 3rd mile of a 5k.  And I didn't even want to be out there.
 
To top it off, at the platforms my brain is saying "it's 7:30, go home and eat" but my body is saying "just run another mile, go down to the 1/2 mile marker and turn around...  unless you want to keep going, then keep going...  Melissa won't eat dinner without you...". 
 
My brain is obviously still smart, but my body has been listening to you people way too much.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home