Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Sandbagging

I have no proof, but I suspect there is a population of folks out there who are expecting me to post an entry that looks something like this:

 

“All right, time for me to ‘fess up.  I really love running.  I’m a runner at heart and have been running all my life.  I decided to run the Houston Marathon after having run in marathons around the country and realized I had never run in my home town.  My average mile is sub 6:00 and my average marathon is run in just over 3 hours.  I generally run 4 to 6 times a week, rain or shine, and have been pulling all your legs this whole time.  It was my little joke on the non-running community to try and get people who are marginal runners or non-runners to really believe that if I could do this, they could do this.”

 

Well, it ain’t going to happen.  I hate running.  I don’t hate it as much as I used to and I suppose that’s progress.  But when I say “I have to run” it shouldn’t be translated as “I feel a desperate urge or desire to run” as if it brings pleasure like a bell for Pavlog’s dog, but rather, “If I don’t go run, something far worse will happen in the future”.  Much like “I have to get surgery” or something like that.

 

I have the utmost respect for you people who do this and do it well.  It’s hard.  Real hard.  And you folks make it look so easy.  I see folks like you running out at Memorial just blowing by me without breaking a sweat or even breathing hard.  I try to catch up (for about 3 steps) then just drop back into my little 10:00 trot.  The energy and excitement that just flows off you when you get to talking about running, racing, or just plain training infects others around you.

You guys rock.  You keep me going.  I don’t want to look bad in front of you (if I ever appear…  I kind of like the whole enigma thing).  Out of respect for your sport I really do give it all I have when I’m out there.  This isn’t some “jogging tour”, it’s a marathon, and it’s serious business.  I don’t want to be Clint Black flailing away at curve balls, I’m going to step out and beat this marathon thing.

 

Who knows, over the next 55 days ya’ll just might make a runner out of me.  I may have to change the name of this blog to “I hate failure, A reformed anti-runner takes aim at Triathlons”.

3 Comments:

Blogger WalkSports.com said...

Joe,

I know how you feel about the runners who don't break a sweat, et. al. I just go, "Wow!" and keep moving, as you said.

I really think that anybody that puts themselves out to dry in an environment like a web blog is going to "get it done" so it doesn't appear like they gave up. (Plus, hey, I like to give something for people to get excited about. I mean if I go out and PR, not only am I happy ... wow, there are other people that are happy for me too!)

Although I'm not his biggest fan, don't be Clint Black trying to play baseball ... go with somebody like Garth Brooks.

Besides he didn't make a bad pick with Tricia (finally) and she's been looking as if she had gotten serious about dropping a few lbs.

We'll see you on the 10th!

Jon

9:49 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Some days I love running, and some days I hate it. Lately I have been hating it, but I remember what it was like to enjoy it and am trying to get back there! And, like you, I keep doing it because I don't want to let others down (or myself)...

10:05 AM  
Blogger Tiggs said...

Joe- I guess somewhere in the back of my head I want you to decide you like running! LOL! At least that is one thing that keeps me coming back to read! I haven't given up on the idea yet!

Happy Turkey Day!

3:19 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home