Friday, January 06, 2006

Getting antsy

It’s fast approaching.  My body knows it.  It’s taking intense concentration to keep my mind off of the run and away from panic.

 

I’m going through varying degrees of… something.  It’s almost impossible to think of the pre-game procedure without thinking about the event itself.  The bag will be packed Wednesday.  The gear will be washed and laid out on Thursday.  Supplies will be reviewed, listed, checked off, and then double checked… then something will be diligently forgotten (you know, I left an odometer [that’s bike-speek for chronometer] AND a helmet in Houston for a ride in San Antonio, once).

 

Strangely enough, though I’m feeling the beginning stages of genuine anxiety leading up to the run, it’s not really nervousness.  It’s almost like I know I SHOULD be nervous, but I’m not really.  The resulting lack of something where something should be is causing a considerable amount of anxiety.  Sort of like going into your house and looking around the living room and knowing that your couch SHOULD be there, but it isn’t, and you get all nervous until you remember that you shipped it off to be reupholstered.  That’s kind of what it feels like.

 

In other news the MS150 people say that anyone who rides all 3 tours this year will get some kind of special recognition.  I’ve been saying they should do some kind of “triple crown” or more appropriately a “triple chain-ring” type of trophy for nutty folks who ride all 3.  Hmm…  being the sucker for hardware that I am, maybe that’ll be something to do.  The 2006 lineup of endurance events could include 1 marathon, 3 MS150s (though the one in October will be the hardest of them all this year), then a triathlon.  If I’m insane enough to consider running the marathon again (no, I’m not presently considering it) it’ll also include a 30k and a half marathon at some point. 

 

Hmm… I may be officially losing my mind.

3 Comments:

Blogger Steve Bezner said...

All you need is your confirmation card and TDL. Everything else is optional :)

(no shirt, no shoes, no problem -- Just Run It)

Go Joe!

4:31 PM  
Blogger Tiggs said...

i know ur goona kick this things butt this year :) Can't wait to see you finish!

6:51 PM  
Blogger Woodlands Runner said...

Since you and I are both starting from the back, it is really going to be something like 26.3 miles. So if you quit after 26.2, you will be stopping right in front of the finish line... :) Just a thought.

11:02 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home