Friday, June 22, 2007

A work in progress

What can I say, I’m a work in progress, this blog is a work in progress.

I’m hoping to recover some of my lost data and rebuild some things (like the trophy case).  Meanwhile, I’m going to get back to the track.

Tonight for sure I’ll be hitting the pavement with a short run.  Tomorrow or Sunday I’ll bust out a longer run, maybe even at Memorial Park.  We shall see.

 

In other news, I’ve had some car trouble lately and I’ve been riding the bus.  I know “THE BUS?!?!  IT MUST BE HORRID!!!”  Well, it’s not.  It’s actually quite pleasant.  After 1 week on the bus I’ve learned a few things:

 

  1. Do NOT assume all buses on the same line take the same route.  Some do not and you may find yourself in downtown and very, very late for work.
  2. Hot chicks are rarely on the bus, if ever.  Today is day 5 and it’s the first day I saw anyone even remotely resembling a hottie, and she was at the transit station.
  3. You can’t help but relax and slow down while on the bus.  Traffic is a non-consideration and you’re going to get where you’re going in due time, so just take a nap or read.  You’re trapped, so roll with it.
  4. On a bus you’re no better than anyone else on the bus.  They’re all in the same “boat” as you.  You suddenly become one of the people more so than ever before.  It’s a great equalizer, maybe even greater than the grave, because you may come out of the grave knowing we’re all brothers, but you can’t use that knowledge in life.  You step off the bus with brothers and sisters who are all fine folks.  It’s kind of like when you fall into a group of runners who are all at the same pace and all just rolling along together.  You share water, joke, chat, and encourage each other.  That’s riding the bus.  It’s not all that bad, if you have a route you can take (and that’s the tricky party).
  5. Walking to and from the bus stop (about 15 minutes walking time each way, probably about a half mile total) gives me a surprising amount of energy in the morning and evenings.  I have little or no (ok, no) interest in running in the mornings, but with the energy I’ve got in the evenings I can go jetting off after putting the little monkey to bed and get back in time for dinner.  What fun!

 

Ok, folks.  Go out and try riding the bus.  I dare you.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I remember riding the bus as a kid with my Grandmother from Denver Harbor to downtown for shopping. I always thought it was a fun adventure! There were always interesting people and we went through interesting parts of town.

10:03 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home