Thursday, April 30, 2009

"Think what you want, as long as we approve"

Because apparently I’m supposed to give a shit what some pageant queen thinks, I’m still being bombarded by Miss California’s answer to the question posed by Perez Hilton.  I’m not at all sure why I should give a shit about either one of their opinions, but apparently I’m supposed to.

The answer to the question regarding her opinion of gay marriage:

I think it's great that Americans are able to choose one or the other. We live in a land where you can choose same-sex marriage or opposite marriage.  And you know what? I think in my country, in my family, I think that I believe that a marriage should be between a man and a woman. No offense to anybody out there, but that's how I was raised.”

 

She says “I think that I believe that…” and apparently what she thinks she believes is wrong.  There is no room among those who are far more tolerant than anyone else to think you believe something that they disagree with.  Consequently, she is being pressured to change what she thinks she believes.

 

Because that’s the tolerant thing to do.

 

Make someone say they think they believe something they do not think that they believe.

 

Or else you put pressure on their employer to fire them and/or proceed to go on a character assassination binge.


That’ll teach them to think that they believe something that is not approved by the tolerance police!!  Take that pretty pageant queen who’s opinion on anything I’m supposed to care about!!  The celebrity blogging queen who’s opinion I’m supposed to care about thinks you’re wrong, and because he’s more tolerant than you he’s going to do everything he can to destroy you until you say that you’ve changed what you think you believe!!

 

Because that’s what tolerance is all about.

 

For what it’s worth, we are a free society where the right to say and think whatever you want is perfectly legal and protected from infringement.  That does not, however, mean there will be consequences to voicing your opinion.  Say or do something stupid and you very likely might lose your job.  If she had grabbed the microphone during the midget wrestling portion of the pageant (or whatever the hell they do) and blurted out “AND ANOTHER THING!!” and gone off on a rant, yea, that would count as a stupid, unsolicited opinion.  But in this question session where their opinions are apparently being solicited, if there are right answers to the questions—right opinions and beliefs to have—they should be informed ahead of time of such.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home