Thursday, October 20, 2005

86

Ran today.
3 miles, at memorial.
I was a bit gassed and I didn't want to run.  I actually went to the field house (tennis court locker room) to change, made it to the door, stopped, turned around and headed back to the car telling myself "I'll run tonight."  I stopped half way and said "no, I won't.  It's now or never."  So, I ran.
Nothing spectacular.  I didn't feel strong at all...  but I had a lot of energy left.  I really need to work on some strength training, I think.  Tomorrow is cross train day.
 
Overall time:  32:35
Mile 1:  9:52
Mile 2:  Still can't find that stupid mile marker...  something like 10:15
Mile 3:  well, around 12 minutes.  Last 3/4 was 7:30  Last 1/2 was 2:30 dead on.
 
I was thinking today about the 8:16 mile I posted the other day.  The difference between a 10:00 mile and an 8:00 mile is about 30 seconds per 1/4 mile.  30 seconds per lap...  2:00 versus 2:30.
Then, the difference between an elite runner and just a guy in the park is something like another 60 seconds...  1 minute per 1/4 mile, 1 minute per lap.  1 single minute makes all the difference.  1 minute separates the Sunday joggers from the elites.
1:00 isn't much time at all.  It goes pretty quick.  It seems like eternity when I'm running, though.  Then my mind wandered back to the kids I'm running for.  How long do the beating last?  30 seconds?  1 minute?  2 minutes?  Is the difference between life and death 2 minutes?  4 minutes?  6 minutes?  30 seconds?  1 brutal hit?
30 seconds.  Not much effort.  Not much time.  The difference between life and death.  The difference between a parent being convicted for homicide and a child being placed in a loving, caring, nurturing home.
30 seconds.
 
I've got to finish this thing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home