Thursday, October 06, 2005

Going back to finish a really cool story

Back on August 8th I wrote about running 6 miles then jumping on the bike for 13 miles.  Several cool things happened that day (August was a good month for running, September just sucked) and I wrote:
"Maybe in a few days I'll write about the thing I did Saturday that was the coolest thing I've ever done on a bike. I'm pretty sure it's something even Lance Armstrong hasn't done."
Well, by my count a few days has passed.
 
I learned on this day that grapefruit juice is very bad for you between runs and rides.  I took about a 30:00 break when I got home from Memorial park, ate some bread, had some juice (grapefruit juice), got dressed out in my cycling kit, and took off.  It was a good ride, really wrung me out after the 6 miles in the park.  About 1/2 way through I started feeling a little queasy.  I finished off my water around the 3/4 mark and stopped at the pool that's on TC Jester just south of 43rd street to fill up the bottles.
This is when I did the coolest thing I've ever done on a bike.  It's gross.  If you don't like gross, don't keep reading.
 
I jump back on the bike for the last 3 or 4 miles to the house and start feeling really sick.  I take in a mouthful of water, swish it around, then spit it out.  I get on the trail and get up to about 14 mph, then started feeling really, really sick.  So, I turned my head to the right (because that was the side the grass was on) and proceded to toss my cookies.  Yup, I yacked on the bike.  Didn't hardly get anything on me, either.  The really cool thing is that I didn't break cadence AND I picked up speed to about 18 mph.  I'm almost certain Lance Armstrong has never yacked while on his bike.
I'm also almost certain that I won't be drinking grapefruit before running OR cycling any time in the future.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Yo, Joe, that's a cool story. Hey, TC Jester park is my neck of the woods. You love around there? I live on Gardenia Dr. Thanks for the story.

7:27 AM  
Blogger El Oso Furioso said...

I love around there... and live around there.
I'm off the north end of the park just off of Tidwell in Candlelight Oaks. Nice little neighborhood, nice little park, but Memorial is prettier, if you know what I mean.
My brother lives of Gardenia on the east side of Ella.

8:33 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home