Thursday, January 18, 2007

What interesting irony

First, you people are flat out awesome.

I’ve completed about 1/3 of my blogroll checking out the marathon recaps (some of you are very wordy… but that can be excused since the first time is always pretty cool) and I have to say, you runners are a breed apart.

Something is clearly unplugged, and I’m not saying that’s a bad thing.

Wow.

Anyway, for what it’s worth, I’m inspired.  If looking in the mirror each morning at the pasty fat guy staring back at me isn’t enough, and if looking at old photos from the honeymoon and college at that kid looking back at me asking “what the hell have you done to me?!?” isn’t enough, and if looking at my own little one looking back at me begging me with those beautiful blue eyes to just please inspire him isn’t enough, the portion of the recaps that I have read through has inspired me to yet again strive for a height that I’m not sure I can reach.

 

Look, the Texas double triple is unrealistic right now.  It’s going to take an immense amount of training and conditioning that I’m neither prepared to take on nor able to take on.  That’s just how it is.  I’m going to do it, someday, for sure.  But before I try to break off 3 marathons in a year, I think I should break off 1 in a manner that doesn’t reflect a fat guy’s stumbling for 26.2 miles.

I did some checking and saw that the time cutoff for the half marathon is 4 hours.

4 hours.

Running a marathon in 4 hours is an average per mile run of something like 9:25, 26.2 times.

Or roughly 70% of what I did on my first successful marathon.

I think that might be doable, given a year to train.

 

See what you people have done.  You’ve inspired me to run faster and farther.

Hang your head in shame.

 

Now on to the “interesting irony”

 

Isn’t it interesting that the very same people who will stand up and say “you can’t impose your morality on me” are willing to do the very same thing to people around the world.  Don’t you dare tell someone that sexual immorality is wrong, but how dare those sandy skinned people annihilate a neighborhood—that’s not how we do things!!  Don’t you dare tell me that abortion is wrong, but don’t you dare execute that criminal, either.

It’s also deliciously ironic that the simple declaration of “you can’t impose your morality on me” is effectively doing the very action that the relativist would deny another the right to do.

But you know, how dare I point out the hypocrisy of the relativist.  It’s well within his right to be a relativist, even if he’s wrong… and a hypocrite.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

yes, the logic or relativism falls apart with the definitive statement, "truth is ALWAYS relative."

4:38 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home