Monday, July 25, 2005

Insanity, Part II

Ok, riding a bike 150+ is insane. I’ve done that. Doing it again in 2 weeks is insane. Done it.
Riding 100 miles in a day is insane. Done it. Doing it in driving rain is insane. Done it. Doing it in 100 degree heat is insane. Done that, too.

Running a marathon is insane. I haven’t successfully done one of those. I am, in the general terminology, a quitter.

So, January 15 is the day of redemption. Training “officially” starts in 6 days, August 1, 2005. However, the pre-training has already begun. I’ve started swimming, lifting weights, and dropping weight in preparation. I’m already 5lbs below last year’s running weight. The goal it to pound the pavement at 185 or lower on race day.
Since the marathon earlier this year, I’ve only run 1.5 miles… on a treadmill… indoors… in front of a TV… but at least the Tour de France was on the tube.
The initial plan is to run at least 6 miles every weekend until the heat breaks, then kick it up to 12 or 13 in September or October. The rest of the week will be dedicated to strength and endurance building, as well as speed and cross training. During those days I'll be doing some running, some biking, some swimming, some weights, some something.
I’m going to try something a little different this year (like finishing).
I will again be running for Child Advocates, and I’ve already recruited at least 2 runners (more on them later).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home