Saturday, January 28, 2006

RTW +

Here's the stats:

3.1 miles, 29:23
Mile 1: 8:43.53
Mile 2: 10:16.91
Mile 3 (+.1): 10:22.45

Then, 13.41 miles on the bike.
Max speed: 26.5
Time: 49:10
Average: 16.3

I had intended on setting a PR today at RTW. In fact, I was aiming for a sub 26 minute day. I shot out of the gates strong, but realized quickly in the second mile that I didn't have nearly the gas in the tank that I thought I did for such a silly notion. In the end, I missed the PR by 27 seconds. 27 stinking seconds. I won the post race raffle for the first time. Funny story about that...
At the very end I caught and passed Robin. I finished 93, she finished 94. The raffler calls the numbers and calls "94". After the race I forgot where I finished but knew it was 90-something. She said "94" and I waited a second... nobody said anything... so I said, "yea, that's me". I head over, grab the shirt, the head toward the covered breezeway where Robin greets me and asks "are you sure you were 94?" I said "no, but I'm close to that". She said "I'm 94, you passed me at the end and took 93". The next number called in the raffle was "93". She got a cool travel kit. All worked out well. We'll chuckle about it again next time.
It was a good run. Not a great run, but a good one. Check out what Holden, Cassie, Dave, and Jon have to say about the outing.

After that I had intended on hitting the roads for 20 or 30 miles, but after getting lost and the impenidng weather (the rain missed me almost entirely) I decided to pull the plug and not risk getting lost a second time. Yea, I'm a wuss, but that's ok. My bike will see more miles this year than most people ride in their lives.

Tomorrow is the FrostBike challenge. The first organized ride of the year. The weather promises to flat out suck. I have some stories about sucky weather bike rides I'll share tomorrow. Crappy weather riding is one thing--you can use mechanical advantage with the gears to alleviate most of the pain.

What do ya'll do when it starts coming down while you're running? There's no mechanical advantage to be found in a pair of soggy shoes.

2 Comments:

Blogger David said...

Glad to see you at RTW. If you got lost in The Woodlands, that's about par. When I moved here it seemed like a Pine Tree Forest with winding roads throughout- and most of landmarks like businesses or shopping centers obscured behind trees.

11:08 PM  
Blogger Woodlands Runner said...

Wearing microfiber socks help with the squishiness.

12:06 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home