Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Ouch

Injury.

 

Don’t know how I did it, but I did.

 

There’s a small cluster of muscles right along the spine that are on the inside.  It’s not the lower back muscles.  These are closer to the kidneys and on the inside—you can’t feel them through the skin.  There’s the skin, a layer of muscles, then there are some core muscles under those. 

Why do I know this?  Because 3 years ago I thought I had a kidney stone, but after getting x-rays done it turned out that I had simply pulled one of these stupid muscles.  How’d I do it?  I don’t know, but I’ve done it again (or I have a kidney stone).

 

It’s weird.  It’s not a set of muscles you need to move, they do other stuff.  Voluntary stuff, I think.  But if I put myself in just the wrong position, POW!!!   I know it.  And it hurts.  Unfortunately the wrong position is just about anything turning or bending or stretching or squeezing with the abdominals—kind of the stuff you do on a bike or running or swimming or showering or brushing your teeth or putting on your shoes or walking.

 

I don’t care what these muscles do, quite frankly.  They hurt like hell, though.  And I can’t do hardly anything strenuous because… well, the pain hurts.  That’s why it’s called pain.  And it hurts in a place that can’t be massaged or rubbed or heated because it’s on the inside.

 

This sucks.

 

Conversations between me and my doctor in the spring go something like this:

Me:  Can I ride the MS150 like this?

Doc:  The MS150?

Me:  A 2 day bike ride from Houston to Austin to support the National MS society

Doc:  I know what a MS150 is.

Me:  Well?

Doc:   …   um, I don’t think you can’t ride it.  Physically, it’s probably doable.  It’s not advisable, though.

Me:  Would you?

Doc:  Ride a MS150?  No.  Not with a (insert malady here).  But I wouldn’t do it healthy, either.

Me:  Would I?

Doc:  I’m guessing, probably.

Me:  Will it kill me?

Doc:  Probably not.

Me:  I’ll take that as doctor’s permission.  Thanks.

 

It was a conversation like this that had riding the MS150 back in 2003 with an upper respiratory infection.  Fun, eh?

 

A word to the wise, kids:  take your allergy medicine.  Upper Respiratory Infections are yucky.

1 Comments:

Blogger David said...

I had a chiropractor tell me years ago I had 2 vertabrae's fused in the low back?? Don't know how it happened. Occasionally, when a muscle spasm flairs up, I'll lay on my back on a tennis ball at the area of the spasm- sometimes it provides relief. Ice packs usually help too. Get well soon.

6:06 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home