Friday, October 06, 2006

More from yesterday's run

4 miles in just over 48 minutes is not great.  But it’s better than Monday’s run and I see significant improvement both physically and mentally with regards to the runs plus I’m relearning some stuff about preparation and a few tricks for along the way.

 

And yes, I still hate running.  I don’t think that’ll change.

 

But the endorphin rushes are yummy.

 

One cool thing that happened yesterday is that I beat a guy driving a Mustang to the west corner of the picnic loop.  After I took my shot of water I looked up and watched the 2 tone blue mustang pass me along Memorial, then come to a stop in traffic.  I think to myself “I wonder if I can run faster than traffic”.  The light at the corner was blinking red, so I figured there was a good chance, and sure enough, I beat him.  Mind you, running faster than traffic that is bottlenecked at a blinking traffic light on a busy street is no great feat, but right now I have no feats to lean back on, so I’ll take “no great feat” over “no feat at all” any day.

 

I’m updating my running mix to include a little Rage Against the Machine (battle of LA and Freedom) and Anthrax.  I might throw in some Pantera, too.  In a few days I’m going to mix down just the songs that I want to jam during the 40 minutes or so I’m on the trail.  I’m going to have to go out and grab at least another 4 hours of music if I’m going to jam for the whole marathon.  Though I’m still not sure I’m going to jam for the full marathon.  I may run semi-nude for the big race (only a watch, no water, no music; as opposed to fully-nude without the watch).  It depends on how strong I get and how quickly I get there.

 

My general mix of quality jams from Ray Charles and Jimmy Buffet to Bethoven and Public Enemy just doesn’t seem to have enough high octane joints for me to get a good jam on.  While Wagner busts off some solid symphonic jams there’s just too much down time in a full piece to keep the juices flowing.  Same with Oorf.   Alan Jackson, Billy Joel, Bruce Springsteen, Brian Setzer (Stray Cats), Pink Floyd, Santana, and Waylon are great at the office, but on the track they’re just… well, great at the office.

 

So lets do this:  I’ll take suggestions for good, high octane joints to cram into my music box.  Let the suggestions flow.  I’ve already got one.  Thanks, Jenny, your suggestion is currently being reviewed.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jenny said...

Oh I'm with you on the Rage Against The Machine for sure. Some of my hardcore running favourites (some more hardcore than others!): 50 Cent, Arctic Monkeys, Armand Van Helden, Azzido Da Bass, Benny Benassi, Chemical Brothers, Deftones, Faithless, Franz Ferdinand, HardFi, Kasabian, Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park, Phats & Small, The Crystal Method, The Prodigy, Tim Delux. Enjoy!

9:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Helmet, Motorhead, Ministry, Nine Inch Nails and The Distillers. Hit me up for some punk tracks. I can download you a playlist I did for my half-brother that got him into Rancid and some other "old school" punk.

11:28 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home