Wednesday, February 14, 2007

My comforter is hurting my feet

No less than 30 miles this weekend.  Cross my heart and pinky swear.

 

Ok, so I’m a pretty healthy guy.  I’m no marathon runner, or anything…  no, that’s not right.

 

I’m no mountain climber or anything, but I’m pretty healthy all the same.  I’d guess I’m on the “better than average” side of the equation, rather the “worse than average” side.

That said, over the last several mornings I’ve been increasingly worried about this pain in my feet when I wake up.  Everything’s fine until I stand up and then WHAMMO!!! my feet just scream with this aching pain.

It’s been going on for 2 weeks with increasing worry.  What the hell’s going on.

So, I start thinking about the pain and what kind of pain it is so that I could decide to go to the doc or not.

The more I thought about it the more I came to realize that it was a “pressure” kind of pain, sort of like when you’ve been on your feet all day or your shoes are too tight or when someone squeezes your hand hard (but not too hard) and then lets go and it hurts to put more pressure on it, but doesn’t hurt when it’s just sitting there.

Sort of like when I go quail hunting and the soreness in my feet when I unlace my hunting boots after walking all across creation looking for those little damn birds.

What’s weird is that I don’t hunt, walk, wear shoes, or squeeze my feet when I sleep.  I just sleep.

So, I get to thinking about it a little more and start thinking about my comforter.

It’s heavy.  Really heavy.  Like lead heavy.  It’s a denim shell with a really, really thick interior.  It’s so very toasty warm.  Plus, because my lovely wife is a sheet hog (she doesn’t read this) we like to get comforters that are extra big so that she can hog the sheets and I still have some scrap of fabric to cling to.  This is a king sized comforter on our queen size bed.  Because of that a good portion of it hangs off the end of the bed—maybe 1/5 to ¼ of the whole thing.

My hunch was that all this fabric, added to the weight of the sheet itself, was creating an even heavier tug down near my feet and my comforter was squeezing my feet at night—hence the pain in the morning.

So, last night I folded over the comforter and got some of the weight off the ground and sure enough, this morning I had no pain in my feet.

 

Weird, huh?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home