Thursday, March 15, 2007

Oh... my... dear... lord...

Yesterday was “Pi Day”.  Pi is the irrational number that is generated any time you divide the circumference of any circle by the diameter of said circle.  Consequently the diameter multiplied by Pi equals the circumference.  It is a beautiful thing.  That number is 3.141596…  and it goes on and on.

Yesterday was 3/14.

Pi Day.

I had fun with it.  It was a good day.  I had pizza.  Or…  Pi-zza.  Or pizza Pi.

It was arithmetically delicious.

Eurotrash Pi day (or Fractional Pi Day) comes around again on July 22 (or 22/7 if you’re eurotrash).  22/7 is a close approximation to Pi, and for general calculations it’s pretty good.  But not if you’re calculating the entire circumference of the larger moon of the fifth planet of any extra galactic system!  He he (snort) ha.  Indeed.

 

Anyway, an even more momentous occasion is June 8, 2010.

Can anyone tell me what special math day that will be?  (think geek—I’ll give a hint next week sometime)

 

Alright, so I read something that just made me roll my eyes in disgust and say audibly the subject of this post.  For you non-geek literate folks out there, Pir^2 is the formula for the area of a circle.

 

“Pi r squared?

Pi r not squared.

Pi r round.

Cornbread r squared.”

 

Yea.  I know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home