Friday, January 04, 2008

Quote of the day

“The words ‘I am…’ are potent words; be careful what you hitch them to.  The thing you’re claiming has a way of reaching back and claiming you.”

--A.L. Kitselman

 

I’ve said something like this for awhile now, when I discovered that people lean on “I am” as a crutch.  “Sorry, I’m bad with names” has a way of becoming a self fulfilling prophesy.  You’re bad with names, sure, but then you lean on that as a crutch to not learn names.  It’s one thing to know your personal limitations, it’s another thing entirely to define yourself by personal limitations.  “I am…” discriminated against.  “I am…” bad with names.  “I am…” liberal/conservative/undecided.  “I am…” and whatever comes next has a tendency to become permanent.

 

But I still hate running.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home