Monday, August 29, 2005

Running sucks

Any budding love affair I was developing with running was shattered in the stark light of "this sucks" on Saturday.
Last week it was 8 miles.  It was 8 good miles, with hills.  I actually enjoyed it a little.  Actually, I enjoyed cresting the hills and the adrenaline pumping as I was scaling the walls of Buffalo Bayou without breaking cadence.
Saturday, though, just plain sucked.  It was supposed to be an encore day of 8 miles.  It wasn't.  About 2 miles in I started feeling a little sick.  I guess I can scratch milk off my list of pre-run beverages.  I never had these kinds of issues while cycling.
Right before the 5 mile turnaround point, the sick "feeling" becomes actual sick "being".  So, I make the decision to push to the turnaround point and make a decision for 8 miles or 5 miles there.  I turn for the 8, try and run a few blocks, get that queasy feeling, and decide to detour back to the 5 mile route.  I was laboring and wasn't keeping the time I needed to, so it was right to cut it short.  So, I ran 5 miles in 15 minutes less time than it took to run 8 the week before.  This was not a good week.
 
In better news, I dropped another pound.  It looks like I'm going to end the month only 3 #s off my target.  Not bad, not bad at all.
Today or tomorrow I'm going to hit the roads with my bike for a good, solid 15 or 30 mile ride, depending on the amount of daylight.  Wednesday or Thursday will feature another swim, then LABOR DAY WEEKEND, BABY!  I'll get in a run on Saturday and that will conclude the prelude to my marathon training.  The official schedule will begin with 4 runs a week, 1 rest day, and 2 cross training days.  The 4 runs will be 1 long run, 1 less long run, 2 days of interval or other strength training days. 
 
This year the marathon doesn't stand a chance.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home