Monday, December 19, 2005

Final stretch

I haven’t completed the blogroll from the weekend’s long run, but if anyone got up on Saturday to run in that muck and nastiness, any performance was a manly performance.  I’m anxious to see how it all went, because, as you can guess, I slept through most of the period when ya’ll were running.  And as I woke up from my second nap of the morning I commentedo my lovely wife “most of them should be done with the 21 miler by now… I bet they’ll be glad to get back to the car”.  Then I went and had a snack.

 

For exercise, I did chop a little wood in the back yard.  I call that cross training.

 

But alas, we’re in the final stretch… less than a month to go.

 

I have maybe 1 more “long” run scheduled for roughly 10 miles on Christmas weekend if I can find a route and the time to do it.

 

I’m at the point where I don’t think there’s anything I can do to really help my chances, but there’s plenty I can do to hurt them.  I’m not sure how much I was really faltering at the end of the 30k run and how much was just my brain getting in the way of my body running.  Can another 8 miles materialize in less than a month?  Can I finally convince myself to just run and quit looking at the mile markers?  Can I get past the mental barriers?

 

Yes.  Duh.

 

But can I do it by January 15?  That’s the real question.  Of course it can be done… people do these things all the time.  But can it be done by me next month?  I say yes.  It has to be done… I’m not going to have time to train for a marathon next year.

 

The longest distance remains not on the pavement, but in my mind.  The will to train trumps the will to finish.  Run fatty, run!

3 Comments:

Blogger jen said...

Yes, I was quite manly on Saturday morning. :)

11:40 AM  
Blogger Tiggs said...

I haven't done a real run for 7 whole days!!! I'm feeling like a slug!! So far my longest is 7 miles and the half is in 28 days! I'll be ready!

1:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm training for the half, but saw pics from our group's 21-miler on Saturday. Crazy people out there not only running...but in shorts...and a couple of the guys were shirtless! Insane.

5:16 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home