Monday, February 13, 2006

Ice Skating is NOT a sport

If there was any doubt before now, the whole Michelle Kwan flap should clear up any misconceptions that this beauty pageant on skates is really a sport.  Is it hard?  Yes.  Is it a sport?  No.  Quit trying to convince me that these people are athletes.  They’re not.  They may be doing something athletic, but as long as they are merely performing some stupid ice skating “routine”, they’re not athletes any more than Puff Daddy is an athlete when he performs.

Consider the following:

You bust off a 15:00 5k a solid minute ahead of the next finisher.  The judges say your form was bad, so they give the next guy the victory.

Stupid, stupid, stupid Olympic committee.  I’ve been saying it for years and they just insist on keeping ice skating in the damn Olympics.

 

Don’t get me wrong, I love the Winter Olympics—more so than the summer Olympics.  But I hate ice skating on a fundamental level.  Nothing more than a beauty pageant.  Bah.

 

Mad props to Princess Michelle for dropping out of the competition and giving the spot she didn’t earn to the first standby, though.  It’s a shame the kid didn’t get to go to the opening ceremony…  not that Princess Michelle gives a crap.

 

In personal athletic news:

 

I’ve been pain free for almost 2 days now.  I’m going to give it another day or two, then hit the roads on the bike.  Maybe I’ll even run a bit.  I won’t be opening it all the way up just yet, but I’ll certainly be probing to see what the limits are going to be.

4 Comments:

Blogger Vica said...

I love ice skating! :P

4:11 PM  
Blogger Tiggs said...

I hate ice skating. Boo hiss!!!!

4:35 PM  
Blogger Hey Zeus said...

I think they should have the ice skaters perform at the same time they a hockey game. Give the boys some targets instead of nets.

5:59 PM  
Blogger Jill said...

I like ice skating! Granted, there is a lot of bs that goes on in the sport, but I still like to watch the "pretty" things they do!! :) What is a shame about the Olympics is that you only get to watch the popular stuff. I want to see the unpopular stuff.

9:35 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home