Thursday, October 19, 2006

Nice day for a run

The weather is just about perfect, and I don’t want to run.

But that’s nothing new.

By the end of the day I’m going to either be itching to run or forcing myself to go to the park.  Very little middle ground for me to walk on there.

Updates later, of course.

 

Meanwhile, threats have popped up on the web against NFL games this weekend.  Something about dirty bombs and blah blah. 

While it’s not pretty, efficient, or even effective, it’s completely not fair to call the Texans’ offense a terrorist plot. 

They’re just bad.

 

And finally, something I’ve been thinking about for a few days now.  Guy on the radio was talking about the 300,000,000 American the other day.  He was discussing whether we’re better off at 300million than 200million and blah blah.  He made the comment that “we’re certainly more informed today what with all the information right at our finger tips” or something to that effect.

I don’t think that’s quite so true.

I think there’s not only more information available, but it’s also readily and immediately available.  But that doesn’t make us more informed.  That just means there’s more information.  Knowing what some stupid pervert ate on a plane trip from Thailand does not equate to better informed.  It equates to knowing more gossip, but gossip is not information.

My gut tells me that despite having a larger volume of information, we are less able as a whole to process that information into knowledge either due to lack of critical thinking ability brought on by the general rot in education or simply because we can only process so much and that function has been overwhelmed by an avalanche of information.

 

That is what I’ll be thinking about while running.

That, and I Kings.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also think there is more disinformation at our fingertips than ever before. It used to be that for someone to propagate some sort of myth or urban legend, they had to get it into publication or on the airwaves for it to have any kind of mass distribution. As a result, your common or garden crackpot had to convince the person controlling the means of distribution that he was right (or at least have enough money to pay him).

Now, with the web, any blowhard can start up his own blog (no, Joe, I'm not pointing fingers at you) and create his own reality which will be bought hook, line, and sinker by a whole lot of folks with time on their hands and loads of credulity.

11:47 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home