Monday, November 06, 2006

Texas Double Triple

I’m getting closer to the point where I’ll know 1. if the Texas Double Triple can be done logistically and 2. if I’m interested in doing what it takes over the course of 2007 to get it done.

 

The Texas Double Triple (TDT) is a 3 city “tour” that will involve a marathon in each of the major metropolitan areas in Texas (Houston, Dallas/Ft. Worth, and San Antonio/Austin) and a double century bike ride in each city/region.  A double century bike ride is a single ride that is 200 miles long.  The most literal definition of the designation is 200 miles in one single ride-day, but a looser view of the event is a single ride of at least 200 miles.  For example, 2 days and 200 miles is technically a double-century, though it’s not a “pure” double century.  And to be completely fair, since I’d be running 26.2 miles in a single race-event, I should probably ride 200 miles in a single ride event.  Of course, that makes for some hard math.  200 miles at 16mph is 12.5 hours, plus stops to refill and rest and eat it makes for a 15 to 18 hour day.  Even at 20mph you’re looking at 12 to 15 hours.  That’s a long, long day in the saddle.  The longest/slowest MS150 I’ve ridden was 10 hours in the saddle.  Doing that distance at 24mph makes it a “reasonable” 12 hour day, but 200 miles at 24mph is, like, really, really fast.  There was a time when I could do 20 miles at 24mph, easy.  I can still sprint up to 30mph and hit 40+ going downhill.  But 200 miles at 24mph?  That’s far… and fast.

 

I’m suddenly less worried about the marathon aspect and more worried about the DC aspect.

 

The TDT may simply be 3 marathons and 3 Centuries (plus) in 1 year.  Although that doesn’t sound nearly as manly.

 

Tomorrow or the next day either here or at the other forum (sportjunkie.blogspot.com) I’ll ponder out loud whether Rev. Ted the Meth Head is a hypocrite or not.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home