Thursday, December 29, 2005

Pushing the envelope

Ok, I did something tonight I haven't done since the sun started dropping out of the sky early--I ran 6 miles after work.
First, the recap:
 
I decided to run 3 miles.  I missed the first mile marker so decided on 2x1.5 mile splits.  I pass the finish line, walk back to the start, and without thinking about it just hit the button and take off.  As soon as my brain begins to catch up the bargaining begins.  "Just go 1/2 mile, then turn around.  That's a good 4 mile run."  I run, and part way to the 1/2 mile marker, my body chimes in "you should probably go to the 3/4 mile marker so you can get a 3rd 1.5 mile split."  My increasingly dehydrated brain thinks about this for a second and decides it's a good idea... then forgets to spot the 3/4 mile marker.  Frantically, it chimes in "Hey!  You missed the marker.  Stop at the 2 mile marker and turn around.  That's a good 5 mile run."  Well, the much smarter body responds "if he's going to go that far, might as well go to the 1.5 mile marker and make an even split out of the thing."  The brain agrees, then again forgets to look when we pass the 1.5 mile marker.  At this point, realizing it's been beaten, the brain just checks out completely.  Turns out that was a good thing.
 
2 consecutive runs, 3 miles each:
Run 1: 28:32.54
(Check out this consistency)
First 1/2:  14:13.66
Second 1/2:  14:18.87
 
Average:  14:16.26
 
The back half was only :05 off the pace of the first half.  Not bad.
 
Run 2:  30:41.49
(I ran the first 3 a little faster than I would have if I were planning on running 6, but it was still a pretty good pace)
Mile 1:  9:58.54
Mile 2:  10:49.98 (20:48.52)
Mile 3:  9:52.97  (30:41.49--nice rally at the end)
 
Average:  10:13.83
 
I didn't bother to run the bridge on the way home.  I was tired and there are no places to safely park after dark.  However, I did clock the distance at .5 miles each way, and like I said, you have to run the bridge twice unless you want to drag the car behind you.

2 Comments:

Blogger Steve Bezner said...

Way to go Joe! By missing the first mile marker, you didn't have to run the dreaded 2nd mile!

Keep it Up!!!

RunSteve.Com

7:41 AM  
Blogger El Oso Furioso said...

Very good point. It was just a loong 1st mile.

7:54 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home