Friday, December 23, 2005

The "Big Ass Belt Buckle"

Ok, so there are 3 things that are required to be in the wardrobe in order to live in Texas

  1. A Stetson
  2. Boots
  3. Jeans

Everything else is wide open.  Some of us own a good length of rope.  Some of us even own a whip (don’t ask).

But there’s one thing that sets apart the “royalty” in Texas from everyone else, and that’s the “Big Ass Belt Buckle”.  Everybody’s seen ‘em.  They vary in size from roughly a drink coaster to roughly a desert platter to roughly the roof of a domed stadium.

There’s 2 ways to get these. 

The first way (and hardest) is to earn one.  How do you earn a “Big Ass Belt Buckle”?  Well, win a rodeo.  Do something cowboyey (yes, that’s a word).  Some organizations give them away like trophies.  Some companies give them as tokens of recognition.  But to earn a BABB is not an easy feat.  To earn one means you did something that deserves a BABB.  You hung on to the bull for the full :08.  That’s hard to do.  That deserves the BABB award.

 

Alternatively, you can go out and buy one.  In fact, anyone can.  You can head down to Cavendars and get one for as little as $7.00.  There’s no shame in that, unless you haven’t done anything to earn it.  Just slapping a caddy hood ornament on your old Ford POS doesn’t make your POS a Caddy.  No, I say you earn your BABB.  You do something, and it better be big.  The good news, though, is you can set the bar wherever you like.  You’re awarding the trophy to yourself and someone’s likely to ask you how you earned the BABB.  Better make it a good story.

I’m considering whether or not 2006 is the year I finally concede that I’ve finally done enough to earn a BABB.  In 2004, 2 weeks after the BPMS150, I sat in the saddle on my bike for a solid 95 miles in rain, cold, and wind from Dallas to Lake Texoma State Park across the Oklahoma border for the Red River Challenge.  That was damn hard.  1500 riders set out that day and only 215 finished on their wheels, the rest caught a bus before lunch.  Then I got up and rode another 60 miles the next day.  That was pretty manly, if I do say so myself.  5 months later I did it again out of San Antonio.  That was the year I pulled off the MS150 Triple Crown (all 3 rides, 1 year).

 

For my encore performance on the same ride in 2005 I rode 75 out for the first 100 miles on day 1 into a 20mph headwind.  Then I only got to ride 5 miles with the wind, the rest was at my side.  The weather was nice, except for the constant wind.  That was pretty manly.  But it was no marathon.

 

This year I have a marathon and a few more big events (one REALLY REALLY BIG EVENT that’s not the marathon) scheduled.  If I can pull it off, maybe I’ll finally decide that I’ve earned my BABB.

In fact, I suggest that be the trophy for HRBs at the end of the season.  Some kind of MVP thing.  You guys rock.  You keep me putting the left foot out there every other step I take when I run.

8 Comments:

Blogger Steve Bezner said...

For me, running 26 miles seems easier then biking 95 miles from Dallas to OK. That makes my butt hurt just thinking about it!

So you have my curiosity now, what is the REALLY REALLY BIG EVENT? Biking thru mountains or something?

No strong opinions on the belt buckle. I've lived here all my life and never had an urge for a belt buckle the size of a hub cap.

Keep up the Running Joe! Get out there this weekend and DO IT!

Have Fun Running!
Steve

2:34 PM  
Blogger El Oso Furioso said...

There's a lot of biking that's going to get done in 2006. Plus a triathlon. Maybe some other stuff.

3:48 PM  
Blogger Hey Zeus said...

You can earn a BABB by finishing an Ultra Marathon. That's what they give out to the finishers. No metals just look at some of these babies.BABB.http://www.run100s.com/goodies/buckles/index.htm

10:54 PM  
Blogger El Oso Furioso said...

Impressive. Truly. But I am almost 100% certain I won't be running 100 miles in one sitting... riding my bike, maybe. Running, almost certainly not.

11:41 PM  
Blogger Tiggs said...

LOL! BABB are hilarious. Joe, I could use some tips and coaching. First MS150 coming up and I'm a newbie on the bike :)

2:58 PM  
Blogger El Oso Furioso said...

First and best bit of advice, keep the rubber side down, shiny side up.

5:37 PM  
Blogger David said...

I think two MS150's would qualify....I've tried riding a bicycle and it's harder than running....I've never understood why cyclists sit on those tiny seats that punish the prostate.

11:31 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

I think riding 100 miles is easier than running 26.2. Sure, your butt gets sore, but you can do 100 miles on a bike without getting to the point where every muscle in your body cries to cease and desist. :)

12:38 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home