Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Try? There is no try, do or do not...

That’s right; I stole a line from Yoda.  That little green dude rocks.

 

Lee Iacocca said “So what do we do?  Anything.  Something.  So long as we just don’t sit there.  If we screw up, start over.  Try something else.  If we wait until we’ve satisfied all the uncertainties, it may be too late.”  Not bad for a car guy.

 

I’ll set out Saturday morning for a run in Humble.  I’m not sure where I’ll run to just yet, or how far it’ll be.  I’m planning for a solid 2 to 3 hours on the roads… wherever that’ll take me.  I don’t care what the weather is.  I don’t care if it’s cold (it’ll be nice if it’s not too cold, though).  I don’t care if it’s raining (I’ll bring one of my cycling jackets).  2 to 3 hours on the road and I’ll track the mileage when I get home, if I think about it.

 

By the way, I’m not planning on attempting the marathon in January. 

 

I’m planning on finishing a marathon in January.  I’m expecting to finish the marathon in January.  I’m expecting to grab the marathon by the collar and kick it in its proverbial nuts in January.  There is no “try” in January… only do.  What will I do?  Anything.  Something.  I will run because I can run.  I will run a marathon not because I know I can, but because there is a real possibility that I cannot and the only way I dissolve that possibility is by crossing the finish line.

 

I will also run because there are others who think they cannot, but their only limitation is the belief that they cannot.  They have built themselves a prison of their own reduced expectations.  I will hold the torch for them.  I will hold that torch and wait for them to come, take it, and run their own race.  That race may not be 26.2.  That race may be shorter or longer.  That race may be overcoming an abusive childhood.  That race may be holding your child again.  That race may be speaking to your own prodigal son.  That race may be returning from your prodigal ways. 

 

There is no try. 

 

There is only do, or do not.

 

There may be fail.  It’s unpalatable, but it’s always a possibility.  That’s the risk when you refuse the option of “try”  “Try” allows for errant aim.  “Try” allows for coming close. 

I will not try. 

I will do.

4 Comments:

Blogger WalkSports.com said...

Joe,

Do the Striders Longest Long Run 13-Mile on Saturday, starting at the GRB at 6:30 a.m. -or- if you are going to run a little later, i.e. 10 a.m., I'll do 12-13 with you on Saturday if you are going to be on the north side.

Yes, I'll be doing 3 hours with my daughter on Saturday, but those aren't tough miles for me - and I've got a marathon to get ready for too on the 1st.

Let me know.

Jon

12:03 PM  
Blogger jen said...

Wow - great post. In these last few weeks before MDay, these sorts of motivational and inner-strengthening things are really useful.


PS: Yoda rocks, he does.

5:53 PM  
Blogger equarles said...

I love it when people are confident. I like it a lot.

10:37 PM  
Blogger Tiggs said...

GREAT post. Thanks Joe. Basically you just said everything I really needed to hear :)

12:52 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home