Tuesday, February 17, 2009

MMmm.. potatoes

Didn’t run a lick.  Not a single step.

 

And I’m ok with that, because I have a LOT of other stuff going on.

 

I’ve just about finished my MIS homework, prepped for the first test, and laid the foundation work on the presentation.  Oh yea, I have an oral report I have to give in my MANA class in 2 or 3 weeks.

 

Meanwhile, 4 of my 12 potato plants are growing nicely.  I’m very happy about that.

My beets are pretty much crap.  They’ll become tomatoes in about 3 weeks.

This last weekend we planted fresh butter crunch lettuce, carrots, brussel sprouts, and broccoli and filled in the pea gaps to round out the early spring garden.  To get a jump on the spring/summer garden, the first cucumbers were also planted and bell peppers and egg plant were seeded in the indoor hothouse.

 

Quite honestly, I don’t know how someone can be an avid runner AND have some semblance of a life outside the running shoes.

 

In other news, the “economic stimulus” spending bill is being signed.  I think it’s needed, but I also think there’s a lot of government waste packed into the bill that has little or nothing to do with real economic stimulus.  Throwing money at government agencies does not equal economic stimulus.  Building actual, real infrastructure things does equal real economic stimulus (and no, giving everyone a $600 check does not equal lasting stimulus, but I’ll still take it and run to the bank).  So, we’ve got a “stimulus” bill that has a lot of good spending, but also a lot of really wasteful junk.  I’d have liked to see either less raw spending or more infrastructure spending, but that’s not what you get in a governmental climate like the one we have.  I remember someone saying once that if push came to shove and Nancy and Harry said “this is how it’s going to be”, a President Obama wasn’t going to be able to effectively push back either because he doesn’t have the pull and contact on the Hill, or doesn’t have the political leaning/desire to push back.

 

I think that someone was right.

 

But I think that someone also will readily acknowledge that there is more potential good, fundamental, societal and cultural transformation that will come out of this administration than will have come out of the alternative.

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home